The topic of energy efficiency is a hot one in political circles these days. With the President putting pressure and focus on creating a “greener tomorrow”, now is a great time to evaluate your home to see where you can save money through energy efficient efforts.
Some tips for making your home more energy efficient –
1. Replace your old refrigerators, washing machines and clothes dryers and other “energy hog” appliances with Energy Star rated appliances.
2. Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient CFL light bulbs. They last 10 times longer than an average incandescent light bulb and provide approximately the same amount of light.
3. During the summer, set your thermostat at 78 degrees.
4. Run pool pumps, clothes dryers, washing machines and other “non-essential” appliances during “off-peak” times (before noon and after 6:00 pm)
5. Unplug non-essential appliances when they are not in use. This includes cell phone chargers, toasters etc.
6. Check windows and doors for proper seals. Re-caulk / weather strip where necessary.
7. Replace old single pane wood or aluminum windows with dual pane windows. Win-Dor offers a complete line of vinyl windows to help reduce the amount of energy needed to heat or cool your home.
Upgrading old pool pumps, air conditioners and condensers in your home with new, energy efficient items is also a cost effective way to save money on your utility bills.
For those that are serious about reducing energy consumption and energy bills, look into a solar electric system for your home. The State and Federal Governments are offering generous incentives to homeowners looking to produce their own power and reduce their energy costs.
For a free, in-home energy audit of your home, contact Win-Dor via phone or “Request a Consultation” through our website.